A-Z Challenge

A-Z Challenge
So this is my first blog- and my first attempt at this challenge. Wish me luck!

Friday, April 8, 2011

(G)rammar

Everyday I get requests to either type or edit someone's paper.  Now, I love my job.  I love showing students how to conduct research, the format to write a paper, and the proper way to cite their resources.  However, I will not type or edit anyone's paper.  Why?  I was (for a short time) an English major, have tutored others while I was in college, and I can type at almost 100 words a minute.  So it would seem a piece of cake to fix up students' papers.  The reason I refuse to edit papers simply comes down to grammar.  I don't know what has happened to people's grammar, but the few papers I've read do not use apostrophes, misspell words, and sometimes leave out words completely!  I'm sorry but I just cannot bring myself to type something that makes no sense.

The most recent paper I looked over had the thesis of "Success is something new.  Barack Obama first black president is success."  Well I think I know what the author means but to make it read smoothly, I really think it would suddenly become my paper...

No comments:

Post a Comment